Planning Ahead / What's Next
Sign your FULL NAME in blue or black ink, you take it to the DMV for your written test. You may NOT drive yet!
If you do not pass, get your blue card back.
This card is issued at the conclusion of your final BTW. Don’t lose that!
Practice with your parents 2-6 months before you schedule your first BTW. Follow the timeline below for drives.
You will need to log your hours on the supervised driving log. -Your parent will sign that form before your road test.
Schedule Drives (BTW):
To schedule drives, EMAIL our office email@example.com
Please include your name, a contact phone/text number, when you received your permit, when you intend to take your test and which location you prefer.
We schedule drives one at a time, but this information will help us to properly space out your drives.
Timing of Drives:
Your FIRST drive should be 4-7 months BEFORE you plan to test.
Your THIRD/LAST drive will be a few weeks before your intended test. Your SECOND drive will fall in the middle.
Email us to schedule based on this timeline.
We cannot guarantee to get 3 drives scheduled for you if you begin to schedule less than 4 months before your test. PLAN AHEAD
Schedule Test: (knowledge and skills):
go to dps.mn.gov and follow the link to “online resources” then “Schedule Road Test or Class D Knowledge Test”. Follow the prompts to schedule the test. -when scheduling a permit (knowledge) test -click NO you do not have an id number. You will need 2 forms of ID and must have a parent with you to sign.
Consider your drive appointments a priority. As with other important appointments, drives may be scheduled during school hours. Plan and know that we cannot guarantee to work around all sports and school schedules. If a drive is scheduled during school hours, a parent must confirm the appointment with our office and contact the school ahead of time, a drive appointment may be an unexcused absence.
The following will result in a $75 no show/rescheduling fee due before your next drive:
Student fails to be at the pickup location on time -a 10-minute grace period will be given.
Student does not have a valid permit with them, the student is not wearing proper shoes or fails to give 24-hour cancellation notice.
For emergency contact with less than 24 hours’ notice: TEXT ONLY 763-567-2727
Additional Information from the Minnesota Driver’s Manual
Do you have all the information you need for your knowledge test?
- I have made a Class D knowledge test appointment and have completed the online pre-application at drive.mn.gov.
- I have the required identification; I know my Social Security Number and I have payment with me.
Road Test Checklist
- I have made a road test appointment and I have completed the online pre-application at drive.mn.gov.
- I will provide a vehicle that is in safe working condition in which to take the test.
- Doors must open from the inside and outside, seat belts must work properly, headlights, taillights, brake lights and turn signals work.
- Vehicle registration (license plates and stickers) must be current, or the vehicle must display a 21-day permit.
- I have my valid instruction permit and have current proof of insurance for my testing vehicle.
- I have money with me (check, money order, or cash -NO CREDIT CARDS) to pay the driver’s license fee.
- If under 18 years of age:
- I am at least 16 years old and I have my certificate of course completion (“White Card”)
- I have held an instruction permit for the last six months without a moving violation or alcohol /controlled substance violation.
- I have my Supervised Driving Log completed and signed by a parent or guardian
- My parent, court appointed guardian will sign and approve my application.
- If 18 years of age: I have had my permit for at least six months.
- If 19 or older: I have had my permit for at least three months
- I understand that in the first 6 months I may only have only one passenger under the age of 20 and the second 6 months no more than 3 passengers, unless accompanied by a parent or guardian. Immediate family members do not count in this limitation.